Goals of this EU-project are:
- Genetic, epigenetic and phenotypic variability and knowledge from farms and in public repositories, will be concentrated in a TRADITOM database and seed repository
- The available genetic and phenotypic variability present in TRADITOM varieties, and the genetic and epigenetic differences from modern cultivars will be assessed
- For varieties whose cultivation is not sustainable due to unacceptably low yield and/or pathogen resistance, novel F1 hybrids will be generated, retaining the quality characteristics of traditional varieties and incorporating yield and disease resistance traits
- Finally, traditional varieties and the impact of traditional cultivation methods will be valorised through a thorough characterization of their composition in term of flavour- and health-related compounds, the identification of consumer preferences, the evaluation of socio-economic factors limiting their market diffusion, and the protection of the most significant case studies through PDO or PGI denominations
- TRADITOM selected as a promo project during the information week H2020 Social Challenge 2.
- Multiple outreach activities of project partners in various scientific conferences.
- Genetic diversity in a core collection of approx. 1500 tomato local traditional varieties characterized
- Core collections selected and phenotypically characterized in 2016 and 2017
|Effective start/end date||1/01/15 → 31/12/18|