The purpose of NUTRIFOODS is to build sustainable climate smart food crops value chain that contributes to ending food and nutrition insecurity and improves livelihoods. The key strategies to achieve this are: use climate-smart crops to develop functional ingredients with properties that allow part or whole replacement of wheat in bread without compromising quality; use markets as key incentivizing driver of value chains; and creating partnerships with private sector to enhance technology uptake and commercialization. This will lead to more food enterprises using functional bread ingredients from climate-smart crops; and thus increased utilization and demand for climate-smart crops. This will create a market for climate smart crops with benefits accruing to small holder farmers.
- Identify consumer needs and key limitations in the supply and market chain of climate-smart food crops (cassava, sorghum and pulses)
- Develop high quality functional ingredients from climate-smart food crops for use in palatable breads.
- Use the functional ingredients to develop consumer attractive breads tailored for African and European markets
- Identify business opportunities in the value chains of climate-smart food crops and nurture SMEs to commercialize the developed technology
- Inform policy makers and disseminate the developed scientific knowledge for harnessing further exploitation of climate-smart food crops.
|Effective start/end date||1/01/18 → 31/12/21|