The purpose of the project is to set-up a Center for Development of Potato industry (CDPIT) in Tanzania. The development of the potato value chain in Tanzania is in its infancy. However there is a vast potential for potato cultivation and a quickly increasing market. NL companies are interested to work with this potential.
The Center focusses on optimizing the productivity and quality of the potato crop and developing the private sector along the value chain with specific focus on establishing Netherlands Tanzania business relations. The Center will support NL and Tanzania business partners that want to introduce, test and develop new approaches and technology in the Tanzanian context. Parallel the Center works on the professionalization of the potato cultivation by investing in the lead farms and the professionals that are active in the field supporting and guiding farmers.
- The legal entity Stawisha was established that implements CD-PIT.
- The farm was established including the first installment of irrigation.
- The first crop of potato successfully was grown on the Stawisha farm.
- The required seed potatoes were donated by the NL partner seed companies.
- A series of demos was executed in Iringa, Njombe and Mebyea. Over different seasons.
- An MoU was signed between the TZ government and the Nl government, with as focus the development of the potato sector and the center.
- Stawisha presented itself on the Nane nane fait with field demonstrations and a Holland reception (with support of EKN) where the ambassador highlighted the Dutch effort.
- PT trials were performed (Dutch companies supported in application and import).
- First round of agro-intelligence conducted and performed. Results discussed in several gremia.
- First round of business intelligence completed, results shared with partners
- First business workshop with agrosuppliers and aggregators completed on the way to new business models.
|Effective start/end date||1/01/17 → 1/06/22|